The monastery of Agia Moni - Kythira TweetThe monastery of Agia Moni is located in the eastern part of the island and it is built on one of its highest mountains overlooking not only the coast of Peloponnese but also the entire island. The icon of Agia Moni was found in 1767 with the description “The only hope of ever”. In 1803, Theodoros Kolokotronis took refuge in the church and vowed that after the liberation of Greece will build a temple. The hero of the Greek Revolution helped in the restoration and expansion of the church. His statue is at the beginning of the road leading to the Monastery. It celebrates on the 6th of August, the day of the Savior.